Girls, I know you want your hands to look pretty. I can understand that. Feel free to paint them any colour of the rainbow if you wish but what is this obsession of attaching plastic claws to perfectly nice nails?! For one they look really tacky. Shocking pink nails with shiny studs scream CHAV louder than an adidas tracksuit. On top of that, they are actually really impractical. I had fake nails temporarily over the summer as a method to stop biting my nails and I couldn’t hack it. Within 2 days I had ripped them off and vowed never to try them again. (It probably didn’t help that I’m used to having teeny tiny nails.) Some of the problems I had were the following:
1. You can’t bloody text or type. Well I couldn’t anyway. The claws just got in the way. I was having to press down on the keys with the plastic instead of my fingertips. I don’t know how working women manage it. Aliya minus texting and typing makes for a VERY grumpy Aliya (/cat).
2. I couldn’t even eat. I’m brown so I eat roti pretty much everyday and that means eating with your hands. It is unbelieveably difficult with fake nails and even if you manage to get a scrap of roti, dipping your claws into curry is kinda gross and getting them cury stained doesn’t look great either.
3. You don’t realise just how much you touch your face until you get fake nails. Scratching your face feels like having your face sandpapered. Within 2 days, I looked like I had been attacked by a savage animal.
4. It is genuinely a mission to pick things up from a flat surface. Heaven forbid trying to pick up a penny. I would be there for a good 10 seconds moving the item around until I got some sort of grip on it. The aim would be to get the nail UNDER the item and then hold it firmly.
5. Last but not least, they made my hands look weird.
Moral of the story…don’t do it! Get a manicure or just grow them naturally. Natural and clean looks best!